Vacating the property - Notice Needed
If you are vacating a rental property, whether it be at the end of your lease or you are breaking your lease, we need this in writing. You may notify us via email or by filling out a tenant vacating notice ('Notice to Vacate' attached below) and dropping it into the office. If you are thinking about vacating it is good to know that the earlier we know of your vacating plans, the smoother your move can be.
(If you are planning on leaving a rental property complete and return the Notice to Vacate form (link below). It is a requirements under the Act that you provide at least 28 days notice for a fixed term (even at the end of your lease) and 21 days for a periodic lease. Break of lease costs will be charged if you are breaking your lease.))
Ending Fixed Term Tenancies
If your agreement is a fixed term tenancy and you intend to leave at the end of your fixed term, then a minimum of 28 days notice, in writing, is required. In turn, if your landlord will not be renewing your tenancy, then we must give you 28 days notice. If you intend to leave within the fixed term period this is classified as a break of lease.
Breaking Fixed Term Tenancies
If a fixed term tenancy is broken by the tenant then the tenant is liable for paying rent until the property is re-let or to the end of the fixed term agreement - whichever happens first. The tenant is also required to pay a portion of advertising and re letting charges which is calculated based on the time you have been in the property and how long is left on the lease. A documentation fee may also be charged. If you would like more information on the fees and charges please visit:
Ending Periodic Tenancies
You must give no less than 21 days notice, in writing, of your intention to terminate the tenancy.
Returning your keys
At the conclusion of your tenancy please return all keys and remote garage door openers for the property. You are required to return these items to the office by 9.00am the day after the tenancy has ended. Failure to do so may result in you being charged rent until these items are returned and/or the cost of replacement locks, keys and remotes.
You will also be required to return your Rentcards at this time. Faliure to do so will result in a charge to replace them.
Within the last 28 days of your tenancy we will need to show prospective tenants through the property and would appreciate your co-operation. We will give you at least 24 hours notice and make sure this will be a convenient appointment time.
The Final Inspection
The final inspection will be conducted on your departure, usually the day after the vacate date. We will check the state of the property against our photographs and the Ingoing Inspection Sheet which was filled in on your entry into the property. If we find any problems, such as lack of cleaning or gardening maintenance, and if time permits, we may allow you to remedy these issues or we will organise the appropriate tradesman (at the tenant’s expense). We are under no obligation to give you a second chance to clean.
Getting Your Bond Back
All bonds are held by the Tenancies Branch of CBS and all refunds are subject to the agreement of both landlord and tenant. To facilitate a quick bond refund, the property should be left in a clean and tidy condition and all rent and water accounts should be paid.
A final water meter reading, if liable, will be conducted on or about your last day of tenancy and invoiced to you.
All bonds are now refunded online through RBO (Residential Bond Online). Once the final inspection has taken place and all accounts are paid we will send you an email to explain how to activate your RBO account. All refunds and claims are subject to both tenant and agent approval. Once this is finalised then any bond owing to you will be refunded via EFT.
It is your responsibility to cancel your automatic payment authority at the end of your tenancy, as we are not authorised to do this for you.
Getting the Property Ready for Vacating
Naturally both tenants and the agents do not like the time and expense of organising additional cleaning and maintenance after the tenancy has ended. To help we have provided the following checklist. This will help avoid the need to call you back or to make deductions from your bond.
Inside the Property
- Curtains, venetians and blinds to be cleaned, washed or dry-cleaned according to fabric and as required.
- We strongly recommend carpets be steam cleaned especially if an animal has been present at the property or there are stains present. If you would like the name of our prefered carpet cleaner, please let us know.
- Fly screens to be removed carefully and hosed or brushed.
- Windows, window sills and tracks to be vacuumed and cleaned, inside and out.
- Door, doorframes and tracks to be left clean.
- Marks to be removed from ceiling, cornices and walls.
- All light fittings to be cleaned and free from insects and dust.
- All floors and skirting boards to be washed.
- All ceiling fans to be free from dust.
- Clean all mirrors including wardrobe door mirrors.
- All exhaust fans in kitchen and bathrooms to be cleaned.
- Air vents to be dusted.
- All items and inventory to be accounted for.
- Air Conditioners filters to be cleaned.
- Fly screen wire to be replaced if damaged.
- The oven, stovetop and griller cleaned, oven racks to be cleaned.
- Range hood cleaned including the filters.
- All cupboards cleaned inside and out (don’t forget the tops of the cupboard).
- Kitchen and laundry sink and taps cleaned and polished.
- Walls and tiled areas to be free from grease.
- The dishwasher to be clean, wipe over internal door. Remove debris from bottom drainer
- Shower recess to be scrubbed and grouting to be free of all soap residue and mould.
- Shower curtain to be washed and shower screen to be cleaned, free of soap scum and smear free.
- All plugholes are to be clean and free from debris.
- Toilets to be cleaned thoroughly, including bowl, lid, seat, cistern and behind the toilet.
- Clean under laundry tub.
Outside the Property
- Lawns to be mowed and edged within 2 to 3 days of vacating.
- Flower beds and pebble areas to be weed free.
- No rubbish to be left in the gardens or around the property.
- All garbage bins to be empty.
- Driveway, carports, garages and any concrete areas to be free from oil and grease stains and swept.
- Cobwebs to be removed from outside eaves, awnings and ceiling.
If you have a Pet
As part of your lease agreement, if you have kept pets on the premises, please use flea bombs inside and outside the property or have a professional pest control for fleas. Remove all droppings from the lawn and garden beds.
Contact your power supplier for final reading of electricity supply.
Disconnect the telephone and internet.
Disconnect any pay TV connections.
Redirect your mail- forms are available at Australia Post.
Return your Rent Cards with your keys.
Rent MUST be paid up to your vacate date and the day all keys are returned to the office.