Enmore is a suburb in the Inner West of Sydney, New South Wales, located 5 kilometres south-west of the Sydney central business district. Enmore was named after Enmore House, built in 1835 by Captain Sylvester Browne, a master mariner with the British East India Company.
Browne named his house after the Guyana estate of a business associate, the head of James Cavan & Co, which in turn took its name from Enmore in Somerset, England.
Enmore is primarily residential, although there is a commercial strip along Enmore Road, which turns off the more famous King Street, Newtown. The now disused, former Enmore Post Office (built 1895) on the corner of Enmore and Stanmore Road's, is listed on the Register of the National Estate as an example of Federation Queen Anne architecture and was designed by the government architect, Walter Liberty Vernon.
The suburb is home to the TAFE NSW Design Centre Enmore which rests on the site of the former Enmore Boys High School. Nearby schools include St Pius' Catholic Primary School and child care options include Oac Enmore Campus and Enmore Children’s Centre. Infamous The Enmore Theatre is a notable landmark and a space where you can watch live music and theatre for all arts lovers.