Stanmore was named by a prosperous saddler, John Jones, who purchased land in 1835 where Newington College now stands and called it the Stanmore Estate. Jones named it after his birthplace of Stanmore, London.
Stanmore is a suburb in the inner-west of Sydney, 5.5 kilometres from the Sydney central business district. Stanmore railway station is on the Inner West Line of the Sydney Trains network and connects commuters to the CBD in a matter of minutes. Stanmore's strip of shops and businesses beside the railway station offer restaurants, cafes and hand selected homewares. Commercial developments run along the length of Parramatta Road keeping the majority of the suburb leafy and quiet.
The suburb is home to Newington College, an independent boys school, Stanmore Public School and Saint Michael's Catholic Primary. Childcare options include Cavendish Street Child Care Centre, Greek Orthodox Community Child Care Centre and Stanmore Kindergarten.
Sporting and recreation facilities in Stanmore are limited to a handful of small parks and playgrounds including Weekley Park, Crammond Park and Montague Gardens.
Numerous churches include St Michael’s Catholic Church, St Augustine’s Anglican Church, West Kingston Uniting Church and Stanmore Baptist Church.
Transport includes excellent bus services and cycle paths to the city.