Why do I need a Conveyancer ?

If you want to buy or sell a home, land or investment property you’ll have to sign a contract. The legal work involved in preparing the sale contract, mortgage and other related documents, is called conveyancing.

You will need to employ a Conveyancer or Solicitor to do the legal work involved in purchasing a property, such as preparing documents, giving legal advice on contracts and explaining the implications.

The conveyancing process can involve the following steps:

  • examining the Contract of Sale and Form 1
  • arranging building and pest inspections
  • examining a strata inspection report if the property is part of a strata scheme
  • exchanging the Contract of Sale and paying the deposit
  • arranging finance if necessary
  • preparing and examining the mortgage agreement
  • arranging payment of stamp duties
  • checking any outstanding arrears or land tax obligations
  • finding out if any government authority has an interest in the land or if any planned development could affect the property
  • finding out any information that may not have been previously disclosed such as a fence dispute or illegal building work
  • calculating adjustments for council and water rates for the property settlement
  • completing any final checks prior to settlement
  • attending settlement
  • overseeing the change of title