Ending your tenancy
If you are vacating a rental property, whether it be at the end of your lease or you are breaking your lease, we need this in writing. You may notify us via email or by filling out a tenant vacating notice and dropping it into the office. If you are thinking about vacating it is good to know that the earlier we know of your vacating plans, the smoother your move can be.
(If you are planning on leaving a rental property complete and return the Notice to Vacate form (link below). It is a requirement under the Act that you provide at least 28 days notice for a fixed term (even at the end of your lease) and 21 days for a periodic lease. Break of lease costs will be charged if you are breaking your lease.))
Ending Fixed Term Tenancies
If your agreement is a fixed term tenancy and you intend to leave at the end of your fixed term, then a minimum of 28 days notice, in writing, is required. In turn, if your landlord will not be renewing your tenancy, then we must give you 28 days notice. If you intend to leave within the fixed term period this is classified as a break of lease.
Breaking Fixed Term Tenancies
If a fixed term tenancy is broken by the tenant then the tenant is liable for paying rent until the property is re-let or to the end of the fixed term agreement - whichever happens first. The tenant is also required to pay a portion of advertising and re-letting charges which is calculated based on the time you have been in the property and how long is left on the lease. A documentation fee may also be charged. If you would like more information on the fees and charges please visit:
Ending Periodic Tenancies
You must give no less than 21 days notice, in writing, of your intention to terminate the tenancy.
Returning your keys
At the conclusion of your tenancy please return all keys and remote garage door openers for the property. You are required to return these items to the office by 9.00am the day after the tenancy has ended. Failure to do so may result in you being charged rent until these items are returned and/or the cost of replacement locks, keys and remotes.
You will also be required to return your Rentcards at this time. Failure to do so will result in a charge to replace them.
Within the last 28 days of your tenancy, we will need to show prospective tenants through the property and would appreciate your co-operation. We will give you at least 24 hours notice and make sure this will be a convenient appointment time.
The Final Inspection
The final inspection will be conducted on your departure, usually, the day after the vacate date. We will check the state of the property against our photographs and the Ingoing Inspection Sheet which was filled in on your entry into the property. If we find any problems, such as lack of cleaning or gardening maintenance, and if time permits, we may allow you to remedy these issues or we will organise the appropriate tradesman (at the tenant’s expense). We are under no obligation to give you a second chance to clean.
Getting Your Bond Back
All bonds are held by the Tenancies Branch of CBS and all refunds are subject to the agreement of both landlord and tenant. To facilitate a quick bond refund, the property should be left in a clean and tidy condition and all rent and water accounts should be paid.
A final water meter reading, if liable, will be conducted on or about your last day of tenancy and invoiced to you.
All bonds are now refunded online through RBO (Residential Bond Online). Once the final inspection has taken place and all accounts are paid we will send you an email to explain how to activate your RBO account. All refunds and claims are subject to both tenant and agent approval. Once this is finalised then any bond owing to you will be refunded via EFT.
It is your responsibility to cancel your automatic payment authority at the end of your tenancy, as we are not authorised to do this for you.
Getting the Property Ready for Vacating
To help ensure we are able to return your bond in full, please see the checklist below. If you don't have a copy of your Entry Condition report, please notify us so we can provide you with a copy.
- Vacuum and clean all sliding door and window tracks
- Sweep or mop all non carpeted floors, removing any marks
- If pets have been kept at the property arrange for carpets to be professionally cleaned. Supply paid invoice copy to the agent
- If pets have been kept at the property, fumigate for fleas – by registered Pest Company. Supply paid invoice copy which specifies service details
- Clean light fittings – gently remove light fittings and clean
- Clean marks off walls, ceilings and light switches
- Clean skirting boards, windows including frames, sills and tracks, above cupboards, picture rails, architraves and both sides of all doors, all other fittings, and insect/security screens etc
- Clean curtains and blinds. Refer to Agent for method advice
- Remove all cobwebs and insect marks and nests
- Clean inside and outside of all cupboards and doors
- Clean inside, outside and around stove
- Clean inside and outside of oven, griller, doors, trays, racks, glass
- Clean inside, outside and behind refrigerator and dishwasher and microwave space
- Clean sink, especially drain holes, drainers and tapware
- Range hood exhaust and filter- filter can be removed and cleaned
- Clean all walls, floors, mirrors and windows and window tracks
- Clean inside and outside all cupboards and drawers
- Clean toilet, bath, shower recess, remove soap residue on tiles and shower screens, clean sink, tapware, towel rails
- Clean water outlet in shower and bath of hair and soap build-up
- Clean in wardrobes, shelves, drawers and mirrored doors. Remove scuff marks
- Shower curtain washed with bleach or replaced if applicable
- Clean behind, inside and around washing machine space
- Clean equipment and filters if applicable
- Clean inside, outside and behind dryer. Remove lint
- Clean inside, outside and around laundry tub, cabinets, shelves, drawers, tapware
- Clean all walls and floors, ceiling.
- Clean all air conditioner units and filters
VERANDAH, DECKS, OUTDOOR AREAS
- Sweep and mop, clean railings, glass and light fittings
- Remove all cobwebs etc.
GARAGE, CARPORT, DRIVEWAY
- Sweep out and remove any oil residue from concrete, pavers, paths, driveways.
- Empty Council bins and place bins out on footpath for next collection
- Close and lock the garage door, if applicable
GARDENS AND LAWNS, POOL
- Mow the lawn, trim all edges, weed gardens, general garden tidy, remove all rubbish
- Return the pool to the condition as per the condition report at the start of the tenancy and supply Pool Test report to the Agent – Report is to be completed at the end of the tenancy date.