• Home
  • Moving into your New Property

Moving into your New Property

Congratulations on your approved application for your new rental home.

We know that moving can be a busy stressful and busy time for most so we will endeavour to make the process as smooth as possible for you.

CLICK HERE to download the New Tenant Checklist >

CLICK HERE for more information on Starting a Tenancy >

Here’s what you can expect;

Paying your Holding Fee and Signing the Lease

(a) Deposit/Rent payment You are then required to pay one weeks rent to secure the property for which you will receive a receipt. This payment should be made as soon as possible. Your Property Manager will advise you of your payment method options.

(b) Rent/Bond Once your deposit is paid you will be advised the amount due for both rent and bond upon signing your lease. An appointment will also be scheduled for all parties to sign the lease and complete all paper work.

(c) Lease Agreement All tenants listed on the Lease Agreement must come into the office to sign the required paperwork. This includes the Lease Agreement, Bond Lodgment Form etc. You are required to read these documents carefully and you are welcome to ask any questions.

Upon signing the lease, you will receive the following:

  • A fully signed copy of the Lease Agreement
  • Copy of the Bond Lodgement Form
  • 2 copies of the condition report
  • New Tenant Checklist
  • Keys to the property (note: this will only occur if the above takes place on your lease start date)
  • A copy of the By-laws if you are moving into a strata unit complex

Utility Connections

It is the tenants responsibility to ensure your power, gas, phone, internet, etc have been connected into your name prior to moving into the property.

If you would like assistance in managing this process, we can certainly help. Please let Raine & Horne Office Kiama know as soon as possible if you would like for us to arrange the connection of these services.


Should you wish to copy keys it is important to note that upon vacating, we require all keys given to you at the tenancy commencement and any extra copies created during your tenancy period to be returned. If you change the locks during tenancy, you are obligated to notify your property manager and provide the office with a copy of the new keys.

Any lost or damaged keys, remotes and security fobs, must be replaced at the tenants expense.

Payment and Lodgement of Your Bond

A bond is a separate payment to rent, it is money that acts as security for the landlord or owner in case you do not meet the terms of your lease agreement. At the end of your agreement if the property is in need of cleaning or repairs or if items need to be replaced the landlord or owner may claim some or all of the bond.

As the bond is a separate payment to the rent you cannot use any part of the bond as rent – so, when you are moving out, you cannot ask the landlord to keep your bond as final rent payment. Your bond will be lodged with Renting Services and you can expect confirmation from them indicating your lodgement number.

Property Condition Report

Please ensure that you return your signed/amended copy of your property condition report to us within 7 days of the tenancy start date. If this is not returned please be aware that the original inspection will be used for end of tenancy comparison, regardless of whether you agree to the original report or not.

For more information on completing and returning your condition report please see Office of Fair Trading Website

Tenant Contents Insurance

It is crucial that you affect your own tenant contents insurance.

It is important to note that should your goods be damaged or destroyed by circumstances affecting the owners property they are not insured by the owner. (i.e. fire, storm damage, power outages etc)

Example One: An electrical fault in the building starts a fire and the property is destroyed. Your possessions will not be covered by the owners insurance.

Example Two: You are away on holidays and the power cuts out due to an electrical fault in the building. Your return home to find your fridge/freezer goods spoilt. The owners insurance will not cover your fridge/freezer goods.

In all cases above, quality tenant contents insurance should cover your goods for these given examples. Please check with your insurer however for the cover they can provide you.