Handy Tips for Tenants
Tenant and landlord obligations
As a tenant you are obliged to do the following:
- Keep the property clean
- Avoid damaging the property and inform the landlord ASAP if any damage is done.
- Ask for permission to install fixtures or make alterations, renovations etc.
- Avoid being a nuisance to the landlord or neighbours.
- Not participate in anything illegal on the property.
Your landlord is obliged to:
- Keep the premises in good repair.
- Ensure the property is secure by making sure all doors have locks and windows are secure.
- Immediately provide the tenant with a new key after changing any locks.
- Avoid disturbing tenants unnecessarily.
Lease/tenancy agreements differ between states, so ensure you have the appropriate documentation for your state. Refer to the following website for information on your rights and obligations in NSW: