What can I do about noisy neighbours this Christmas?

By Maria Milillo, Business Support Manager, Property Management, Raine & Horne
NOVEMBER 17, 2020

If you happen to be new parents and a college fraternity headed by Zac Efron moves in next door, then forget a quiet and tranquil festive season.

The reality is that Aussies don’t live in a Hollywood frat movie and are very considerate of their neighbours. As a tenant, your landlord must provide you with the opportunity for a ‘quiet enjoyment’ of the residential property. In other words, the landlord must not do anything that may interfere with your reasonable peace, comfort or privacy during the tenancy.

Noise complaints cover a broad spectrum of grievances, from dogs incessantly barking to a loud TV or a Christmas or New Year’s Eve party dragging long into the wee hours. That said, if a domestic violence situation causes the noise, call the police immediately.

Unfortunately, there is no one answer about how to deal with noisy neighbours. It is also essential to understand that your property manager is not responsible for the actions of your troublesome neighbour and have no legal rights to act anyway. However, when a property manager receives these complaints, he or she will generally advise you to try and find a mutual resolution. Most neighbours are not like Teddy and his housemates from hell in Bad Neighbours. They are very respectful and will address their behaviour.

If this neighbourly détente fails, a tenant could speak with fellow residents in the block or on the street to see if they have issues with the boisterous neighbours. It will help your cause if they also make a complaint. If you’re living in an apartment block or townhouses, the collective complaint can be taken to the strata manager who can issue a compliance notice to the rogue resident.

If the disruptive resident is a tenant, you might have a little more support for your grievances. A strata manager will contact the noisy renter’s property manager. The property manager will typically issue a breach notice on behalf of the landlord to the tenant. If the behaviour continues, the tenant could be terminated.

If you’re planning a Christmas or New Year’s Eve party, polite etiquette involves letting your neighbours know through a note dropped in a letter box or under the front door. It is even better if you promise that the party will wrap up by a sensible time. Your good neighbours will appreciate the gesture.

For more information about dealing with noise complaints, contact your Raine & Horne property manager.