Please note: If you have NOT been given written confirmation of a vacating date please refer to 'Ending a Tenancy'.
If you have given your notice but have not received written confirmation or a vacate date please contact our office as soon as possible on 07 4972 4044 to ensure your notice has been received and accepted.
Standard Terms 37 - 40 of the General Tenancy Agreement set out the requirements for vacating the property.
Standard Term 37:
Condition premises must be left in - s 188(4)
At the end of the tenancy, the tenant must leave the premises, as far as possible, in the same condition they were in at the start of the tenancy, fair wear and tear excepted.
Examples of what may be fair wear and tear –
• Wear that happens during normal use
• Changes that happen with ageing
Standard Term 38
At the end of the tenancy, the tenant must return to the lessor all keys for the premises.
Standard Term 39
Tenant’s forwarding address – s 205(2)
(1) When handing over possession of the premises, the tenant must, if the lessor or the lessor’s agent asks the tenant in writing to state the tenant’s new residential address, tell the lessor or the agent the tenant’s new residential address.
(2) However, subclause (1) does not apply if the tenant has a reasonable excuse for not telling the lessor or agent the new address.
Standard Term 40
Exit condition report – s 66
(1) As soon as practicable after this agreement ends, the tenant must prepare, in the approved form, and sign a condition report for the premises and give 1 copy of the report to the lessor or the lessor’s agent.
Example of what might be as soon as practicable –
when the tenant returns the keys to the premises to the lessor or the lessor’s agent
Note – For the approved form for the condition report, see the information statement. The report may be very important in deciding who is entitled to a refund of the rental bond if there is a dispute about the condition of the premises.
(2) The lessor or the lessor’s agent must, within 3 business days after receiving the copy of the report –
(a) Sign the copy; and
(b) If the lessor or agent does not agree with the report – show the parts of the report the lessor or agent
disagrees with by marking the copy in an appropriate way; and
(c) If the tenant has given a forwarding address to the lessor or agent – make a copy of the report and
return it to the tenant at the address.
(3) The lessor or agent must keep a copy of the condition report signed by both parties for at least 1 year after this
For some tips on cleaning / preparing the property - Click Here
For a list of Contractors / cleaners - Click hereNOTE: All contact details for contractors are provided to you as a courtesy only. We do not accept the responsibility of the work done by the contractors listed. We recommend you do your own research.